What the reviewers said: “The focus that Martin takes in the “Deliver Business Value with IT” series will help in tackling the seven main non-technical challenges any CIO or other senior IT business leaders will face:
1. How and what should I communicate to whom in what way?
2. What to think of when it comes to competences needed to provide my IT services?
3. How to provide the best value at the best cost?
4. What to think of when ensuring efficient and effective delivery of projects?
5. How to establish a sourcing strategy and determining how to manage your vendors?
6. What are the best practices for managing my operations, and what to think of?
7. How can I best scan for and analyse emerging technologies?
The approach taken utilizing basic business management principles and applying them to how to run an IT department are explained clearly, and takes this publication above and beyond the standard publication proclaiming to ‘run IT as a business’. The 2 key trends identified in the publication for the CIO to focus on of “Differentiation” and “Cost” are a perfect example of this.
Further to this the focus and examples of non-technical KPIs used, provides a good framework for the CIO to communicate the state of how services are provided and how the company is maximizing its value of their IT assets.”
(Alex van der Kruit, is a senior IT executive with extensive experience in building and leading service organisations, and directing change management initiatives for leading global corporations. He has held positions such as Service Delivery Director at CSC, General Manager IT at Swedish Match, and is currently Business Systems Manager at Toyota Material Handling Europe)